University of Connecticut (2011-2017)
- Overall GPA: 3.84/4.0
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering
Vanderbilt University (2007-2011)
- Overall GPA: 3.34/4.0
- Bachelor of Arts in History and Computer Science
Ph.D Advisor: Dr. Mohammad Maifi Khan (2011-2017)
- Use behavioral science to understand how computer messages change human behaviors.
Undergraduate Student Research Advisor: Dr. Lawrence Dowdy (2010-2011)
Co-Student Researcher: Nathan Lo
- Studied the design of user interfaces
National Institute of Standards and Technology - Computer Scientist (March 2018-Present)
- Advise various projects at NIST's National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE) on the topic of human-factors related to the cybersecurity challenges and solutions explored in each.
National Institute of Standards and Technology - Student Trainee Computer Scientist (March 2016-March 2018)
- Develop and execute research projects that inform the National Program Office of the Trusted Identities Group (TIG).
- Performed user surveys to gather findings related to the usability and user perceptions of a federated identity management ecosystem.
Vanderbilt University Office of Investments - Intern (2010-2011)
- Assisted in the building of IRIS, an application to aid in the management of the University's endowment
- Developed ETLs to pull, standardize, and upload to the IRIS servers data from various financial sources
- Developed user documentation for the IRIS platform
Vanderbilt Technology Services - Help Desk Analyst (2009-2011)
- Provided campus wireless and wired network support, university email support, support for Microsoft Windows and the Macintosh OS, and performed manual virus detection and removal
- Developed practical knowledge of Windows and Macintosh OS
MakeUseOf.com - Contributing Author (2009-2010)
- Wrote reviews of websites and free applications available online
- Met deadlines and communicated with editors and team members effectively
- Please click here to view authored articles
Fellowships & Awards
GAANN Fellowship (2011-2016)
The GAANN program is design to support graduate students studying in emerging research fields. I am funded by the GAANN at the University of Connecticut. The GAANN requires a year of teaching assisting during my tenure as a graduate student.
- Fagan, Michael and Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan. "To Follow or Not to Follow: A Study of User Motivations around Cybersecurity Advice." IEEE Internet Computing, Just Accepted, 2017.
- Fagan, Michael, Yusuf Albayram, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, and Ross Buck. "An Investigation into Users' Considerations Towards Using Password Managers." Human-centric Computing and Information Sciences, Vol. 7:12, 2017. View on SpringerLink
- Fagan, Michael, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan. "Why Do They Do What They Do: A Study of What Motivates Users to (Not) Follow Computer Security Advice." Symposium on Usable Security and Privacy (SOUPS), 2016. View on SOUPS
- Fagan, Michael, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, and Nhan Nguyen. "How Does this Message Make You Feel?: A Study of User Perspectives on Software Update/Warning Message Design." Human-centric Computing and Information Sciences, Vol. 5:36, 2015. View on SpringerOpen
- Fagan, Michael, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, and Ross Buck. "A study of users' experiences and beliefs about software update messages." Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 51 Pt. A, Oct. 2015. View on Elsevier
- Fagan, Michael, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, and Bing Wang. "Leveraging Cloud Infrastructure for Troubleshooting Edge Computing Systems." IEEE Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), 2012. View
- Buck, Ross, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, Michael Fagan, and Emil Coman. "The User Affective Experience Scale (UAX): A Measure of Emotions Anticipated in Response to Pop-Up Computer Warnings." International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Just Accepted, 2017. View on Taylor & Francis
- Albayram, Yusuf, Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, and Michael Fagan. "A Study on Designing Video Tutorials for Promoting Security Features: A Case Study in the Context of Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)." International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Just Accepted, 2017. View on Taylor & Francis
- Zuba, Michael, Michael Fagan, et al. "A vulnerability study of geographic routing in Underwater Acoustic Networks." IEEE Conference on Communications and Network Security (CNS), 2013. View